We’ve been experiencing a wild “fall” heat wave here in San Diego and all of our thoughts have been focused on frosty smoothies, cold drinks and frozen treats. This quick and easy banana based, peanut butter and chocolate chip ice cream is perfect to cool down at the end of a long, hot day. But who are we kidding, it’s perfect for anytime of the day. All it takes to whip this ice cream together is a few simple ingredients and a high-powered blender.
– 5 large extra ripe bananas, frozen
– 1 cup of milk
– 3 pinches vanilla bean powder or vanilla bean seeds (whole bean)
– 2 Peanut Butter Perfect Bars
– 1-2 Tbsp mini chocolate chips
- Place a stainless steel or glass bowl in the freezer before getting started. Having a chilled dish helps the ice cream freeze and chill for serving faster.
- Peel and chop your 5 ripe bananas and place them in the freezer. Do yourself a favor and take the time chop them. Words cannot describe the chaos that ensued when I turned my blender on with 5 whole, frozen bananas.
- Place your chopped, frozen bananas into the blender along with peanut butter. We used 2 of our Peanut Butter Perfect Bars. We like our organic, crushed in-house peanuts the best and this way we can tell mom we’re getting our superfoods in while eating ice cream.
- Next, add 1 cup of milk and your choice of vanilla and start blending. Allow for the ingredients to become thick and creamy. Adding an extra tablespoon of milk may be required.
- Once the consistency is met, gently fold in chocolate chips and pour the mixture into your chilled bowl. Once it has settled, place the ice cream in the freezer.
- Chill the ice cream until ready to scoop. My freezer took about 25 minutes and you want it to be slightly soft, but consistent all the way through.
Place the leftovers in the freezer, but allow some time to thaw before re-serving. For those of you who love peanuts like we do, chop a few up and mix them in for an extra crunch. Try and remember to share the second time through!