Pumpkin Pie Scones with Cinnamon Sugar Layers
If you’re a pumpkin lover then you are in luck! This Pumpkin Pie Scones with Cinnamon Sugar Layers recipe is the perfect way to celebrate harvest season. Made with our Pumpkin Pie Perfect Bar and layers of cinnamon sugar these scones are an easy way to make a seasonal treat that is sure to treat tastebuds. We think these would be the perfect treat for a chilly Saturday morning. So, what’re you waiting for? Go ahead give them a try!
Makes 8 scones
- 2½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 pumpkin pie bars, cold, straight from the fridge, and thinly sliced
- ½ cup unsalted butter, frozen
- ¾ cup canned pumpkin puree
- ½ cup canned coconut cream
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 6 tbsp canned coconut cream, cold
- 1/3 cup coarse raw or turbinado sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, ground flaxseed, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- On the large holes of a box grater, grate the frozen butter over the dry ingredients. Add the cold sliced perfect bar pieces and using your fingers or a pastry cutter, press and cut in the butter and perfect bar pieces until small flat pieces and crumbs form within the flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, coconut cream, and vanilla extract until smooth. Add to the dry ingredients and mix with a fork until no dry bits remain and the mixture forms a round mass.
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the cinnamon sugar mixture. The coconut oil should be disbursed throughout the sugar.
- Transfer the scone dough to a lightly floured work surface and roll out into a 10-inch circle. Brush the dough with 2 tablespoons of coconut cream and sprinkle over half of the sugar mixture in one even layer across the dough. Fold the dough over and gently roll out again, only adding 2 inches or so of surface area. Brush the dough with 1 tablespoon of coconut cream and sprinkle over the remaining sugar mixture. Fold the dough over once again and gently nudge the dough to form one large rounded mass.
- Heat the oven to 425° and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Gently flatten the dough with a rolling pin, expanding the surface area by at least 1-inch. Divide the dough into 8 even wedges using a sharp knife. Transfer the wedges to the baking sheet and refrigerate for 20 minutes or until firm.
- When ready to bake, brush the tops of the scones with the remaining coconut cream and sprinkle all over with coarse sugar and a dusting of cinnamon. Bake for about 20 to 22 minutes on the top rack, until lightly golden, and the tops are crunchy and firm to the touch.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Keeps well in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Lightly reheat to serve.
If you give these a try, don’t forget to share your Pumpkin Pie Scones with Cinnamon Sugar Layers with us on social by tagging @perfectbar on Instagram and using #itsjustperfect.
Shop our Pumpkin Pie Perfect Bar HERE.